Friday, November 18, 2011

Political Issues-Abortion

The issue of abortion is very touchy and controversial because it goes against many Americans' moral values or religion and I chose to discuss it due to its popularity right now. President Obama and Mitt Romney are on opposite sides of the fence when it come to having a stance on the abortion issue. While Obama is pro-choice, Romney is on the opposing side, advocating his belief in pro-life.
     President Obama is very much behind the idea of pro-choice, standind behind the Supreme Court's decision in the Roe v. Wade case and protecting the rights of women. He says, "I have been a consistent champion of reproductive choice and will make preserving women's rights under Roe v. Wade a priority". Obama also stated, "My belief is simply that women are in the best position to make that very difficult moral decision". It is clear that Obama only wants to abide by the rights given to women due to the Roe v. Wade case and have faith in women to make their own decisions. Romney however, stands firmly behind his pro-life decision, even though he once was pro-choice. He announced, "I believe in the sanctity of life from the very beginning until the end" and "I'm not going to apologize for becoming pro-life. I'm proud to be pro-life."
     I agree more with Obama because I personally believe that women should have the right to make their own decisions. I especially agree when it comes to cases of rape, incest or bad health conditions, because having the baby can cause a woman to have some kind of serious mental break down and bad health conditions can have a detremental effect on the woman or even the baby. However, even if a woman did not get pregnant due to rape or incest and does not have a bad health condition, I still believe that she should have the right to decide, because the government should not be allowed to tell a woman what to do with her body.

-Nia B.

No comments:

Post a Comment